The Belfry of the Dells Mill School
The belfry of the rural one room Dells Mill School in Augusta Wisconsin. The bell tolled daily at the beginning of each class session and at noon to announce the time to student and local farming community alike. The tolling was done by a student assigned as their regular task. The assignment was rotated but usually made to the most responsible youths.
The task was only given to older students who had good strength - the youngest students envied those who tolled the bell
The bell was actually sold as a memento by the business who bought the school when it was decommissioned and converted it to a tool shed. The school was reconverted to it's historic purpose and the bell restored.
|The Belfry||The 1866 End||The 1973 End The Main Student Entrance|
|The Historic one room school in Winter||The Dells School was originally just across County V on the Dells Pond||The Dells Pond circa 1956|